Many people assume (like I did) that our coffee beans all come from the same place. This isn't the case. Right now we have about 14 different varieties of beans from all over the world.
Why get beans from so many places, you ask?
- For starters, each country's bean has a unique flavor, acidity level, and body.
- We craft roast our beans in small batches to get specialty coffee that consumers (like you) are demanding. You like the great taste that only comes from combining several different beans together in one batch to create the perfect recipe.
- We support several Rainforest Alliance Certified farms in doing so.
- Depending on the growing seasons, we can always get our beans.
- We can keep our competitors guessing at our secret recipes.
Well, not really that last point. It's fun to imagine that, tho.
And all of our coffee beans are strictly the best Arabica beans. No Robusta beans in our blends. What does that mean to you? That means that each cup of our coffee is smoother and better tasting than lower quality commercial coffees.
What's the difference between Arabica and Robusta beans?
- 70% of world coffee production is Arabica. There's simply more to choose from. However, only 2% of Arabica beans meet the specialty grading criteria.
- Arabica is a higher quality bean for the specialty market (like Verena Street®).
- Arabica has a better flavor due to a longer tree maturity time (5 years) compared to Robusta (2.5 years). This allows flavors to develop more fully and produces a bean that is delicate and flavorful.
- Arabica beans are grown at higher altitudes that create a harder bean. The harder the bean, the better the quality of the coffee.
What does all this mean for you?
We ensure that only the freshest and highest quality beans make it into our customers’ hands.
Each fresh roast coffee is roasted to a specific level that best highlights its unique character and derives the best possible flavor and aroma from each bean. This creates an unforgettable experience in every cup. We hope you enjoy drinking it as much as we enjoy creating it!