Sunday Drive™ Decaf Swiss Water Process groundVerena Street Coffee Co.
Our signature decaffeinated coffee, this smooth and relaxing water process decaf blend utilizes our highest-grade specialty decaf beans which are naturally decaffeinated via the Swiss Water® Process. This ensures a full-bodied flavor without the chemical aftertaste common to most decaf coffees. We feel you should be able to cut the caffeine without sacrificing any flavor. Although more costly than alternative procedures, this natural decaf process ensures the same quality, taste, and aroma that you expect from fully-caffeinated Verena Street varieties. Read more about our decaffeination process on our blog.
We consistently receive phenomenal feedback about this Swiss Water® decaf coffee – many people have found it to be even more flavorful than some fully-caffeinated coffees they have tried prior to discovering the freshness and aroma of Verena Street®. Like a casual Sunday drive, this chemical-free water process coffee will leave you relaxed, refreshed, and revitalized!
- Kosher Certified by the Orthodox Union, the world's most recognized and trusted Kosher certification.
- SUSTAINABLY SOURCED from 100% RAINFOREST ALLIANCE CERTIFIED™ coffee farms. Coffee from Rainforest Alliance Certified™ farms is fairly traded and sustainably grown to benefit and protect farm families, wildlife and the environment.
About Sunday Drive™
The Sunday drive has been a common pastime for generations of Americans, becoming particularly popular in the 1920s when automobiles began being used for them. Rather than traveling to work or running errands, the Sunday drive is all about leisure with no urgency and no particular destination..
The Swiss Water® Process is similar to the Mountain Water Process, in that the process of decaffeination does not use chemicals of any kind to remove the caffeine from the coffee beans. The Swiss Water® Process relies instead on solubility and osmosis. This process creates a coffee bean using the three elements of water, temperature and time to create a coffee that is 99.9% caffeine-free.
- It starts with soaking a batch of green coffee beans in hot water to dissolve the caffeine.
- The water is removed from the beans and passed through an activated charcoal filter which only allows the capture of the caffeine molecules. The important oil and flavor molecules get to stay in the water.
- This water is kept in a tank and the original beans are thrown away. This flavorful caffeine-free water is reused to remove caffeine from a new batch of green beans.
- The process starts again with the soaking of a new batch of beans in the caffeine-free flavorful water only allowing the dissolving of the caffeine in the beans while not losing all the important flavors.
- This method of decaffeination is mostly used with organic coffee beans.
Visit swisswater.com for a video about this process.