What is Caffeine?
What is caffeine? Found in drinks such as tea and coffee, caffeine is a natural stimulant that helps individuals stay alert and energized. Millions of us rely on caffeine every day, especially in the form of coffee, one of the world’s most popular drinks. You’ll also find synthetic caffeine in different medicines, foods, sodas, and energy drinks. Our favorite way to get our caffeine fix is through a fresh roasted cup of coffee.
Positive Effects of Caffeine in Coffee
There are several positive effects of consuming appropriate amounts of caffeine. Some of the below effects are widely known, but others may surprise you. It’s also important to remember to consume caffeine in moderation. According to the FDA, a healthy adult can consume up to 400 milligrams a day, which equates to about 4-5 cups of coffee. Only you know your body and limits, so this may vary from person to person. You definitely don’t want those caffeine jitters (or any other negative side effects)!
- Make you feel awake and provide an energy boost
- Improve brain function, causing better memory and reaction times
- Brighten your mood – No wonder I feel happier after my morning cup of joe!
- May boost metabolism, as caffeine is a fat burner
- May enhance exercise performance
- May help prevent Alzheimer’s, heart disease, Parkinson’s, type 2 diabetes
At Verena Street®, we know providing the highest quality decaffeinated coffee is just as important as our other fully caffeinated blends. Not everyone wants or is able to consume caffeine. We want all of our customers to feel included and be able to enjoy delicious, smooth, and flavorful coffee. So, what makes our decaf so special? Click here to read about our decaffeination process.
- Arabica beans have less caffeine in them than Robusta beans. Arabica beans taste better, too. All of the coffee blends at Verena Street® use 100% Arabica beans.
- Lighter roasts have more caffeine than darker roasts. The longer the coffee beans are roasted, the less caffeine they will have.
- Worldwide, 90% of adults consume caffeine daily.
- Once consumed, caffeine kicks in after about 15-20 minutes, and the effect typically lasts between 8-14 hours depending on the person.
- Having the right amount of caffeine can reduce stress, however too much caffeine can cause you to feel more stress.
Do you have any caffeine fun facts up your sleeve? Share them in the comment section below! To learn more about caffeine levels in coffee, check out this blog post.
As you can see, there’s a lot to learn about the caffeine you find in your coffee. This was simply a high-level overview, but I hope you learned something new. Whether you’re headed back to school or not, it’s always fun to have an opportunity to learn. If you are heading back to school soon, good luck to you! Have an awesome school year.
Want more blog content? Click here.
Connect with us on social media! We love hearing from you. Follow us on Instagram and stay up to date on all things Verena Street. Leave a like, comment, or share our posts with your friends and family. We appreciate your support!