Ah, sweet summer time in Iowa. The beautiful warm weather, enjoying the outdoors, and cookouts with family and friends are some of our favorite summer activities. Our coffee, whether hot or iced, fuels us for our fun summer days. But who says coffee is just for drinking? There’s plenty of other ways to use coffee, such as in a delicious cookout. Below, we included some exciting coffee recipes so you can throw your own coffee themed cookout! Cooking with coffee is a great way to use your favorite coffee beans.
Making a simple coffee rub will perfectly season and marinate your favorite proteins and veggies. You’ll find you have most of these ingredients already, and you can store any extra rub in a jar to use for later. This recipe is from Oklahoma Joe’s, but feel free to get creative with your rub and craft it to match your taste preferences.
In a bowl, mix together the following:
- 2/3 cup ground Verena Street coffee (we recommend Julien’s Breakfast Blend®)
- 2/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 ½ tablespoons paprika (try hot paprika if you like more spice)
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
I love the flavor and smoothness of Julien's Breakfast Blend. - Dawna, verified customer
Coffee BBQ Sauce
We’re going to need some delicious sauce, next! What’s a summer cookout without barbecue sauce? Here’s a delicious recipe from The Spruce Eats. It’s quick & easy to make, and it’s delicious!
- 1/2 cup of strong dark coffee (we recommend Nine Mile Sunset®)
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 3 fresh seeded jalapeños
- 2 tablespoons dry hot mustard, mixed with 1 tablespoon warm water
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- Combine all ingredients in a small pot on the stove, and simmer over medium-high heat.
- Once simmering, lower the heat and let the sauce cook on low for about 20 minutes.
- Next, puree the sauce in a blender.
I like a dark, strong coffee, and Nine Mile Sunset hits the mark. - Jennifer, verified customer
No summer cookout is complete without a delicious dessert. Have you tried an affogato before? It’s creamy, sweet, and decadent. This is a perfect summer treat for coffee lovers. All you need to do is place a scoop (or two) of your favorite ice cream in a coffee cup, then pour delicious espresso over the top. We recommend vanilla bean ice cream and Shot Tower® Espresso. Yum!
Shot Tower Espresso is full bodied but remains smooth tasting throughout the entire cup. I love it! - Gary, verified customer
If you make any of these recipes, let us know! Do you have your own coffee recipes? Share them with us in the comments below! We’d love to hear from you.
Want more blog content? Click here.
Connect with us on social media! We love hearing from you. Follow us on Instagram and like us on Facebook to stay up to date on all things Verena Street. Leave a like, comment, or share our posts with your friends and family. We appreciate your support!